Dr. Juan Zhao is a postdoctoral fellow in Center for Precision Medicine at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. She achieved a Ph.D. in Computer Science (2012) from the University Chinese Academy of Sciences, B.S. (2006) from Shandong University. From 2012 to 2015, she worked as a Research Assistant Fellow, Senior Engineer and Product Manager in Chinese Computer Network Information Center, Chinese Academy of Sciences. From 2015 to 2017, she worked in Cyber Security Lab at Tennessee State University as a research scientist.
Dr. Zhao has much experience in the data and information analysis, and system architectures design. Her research interests lie in machine learning and data mining theories and applications in biomedical informatics, healthcare, and security. Her research focus is to leverage deep learning/machine learning and a huge healthcare data at Vanderbilt University Medical Center to enhance disease prediction. She was also interested in the Blockchain in healthcare and Internet-of-Things (IoT).
- Zhao J, Feng Q, Wu P, Lupu R, Wilke RA, Wells QS, Denny JC, Wei W-Q. Learning from Longitudinal Electronic Health Record and Genetic Data to Improve Cardiovascular Event Prediction. Scientific Reports. 2019; 9(1):717 doi:10.1038/s41598-018-36745-x New!
- Zhao J Feng Q, Wu P, Warner JL, Denny JC, Wei W-Q. Using topic modeling via non-negative matrix factorization to identify relationships between genetic variants and disease phenotypes: A case study of Lipoprotein (a)(LPA). PloS one. 2019; 14(2) doi.org/10.1371 New!
- Zhao J, Shetty S, Pan JW, Kamhoua C, Kwiat K. Transfer learning for detecting unknown network attacks. EURASIP Journal on Information Security. 2019 Feb 21;2019(1):1. doi: 10.1186/s13635-019-0084-4 New!
Shetty S, Liang X, Bowden D, Zhao J, Zhang L. BLOCKCHAIN BASED DECENTRALIZED ACCOUNTABILITY AND SELF SOVEREIGNTY IN HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS (BOOK CHAPTER). In: Business Transformation through Blockchain. Palgrave Macmillan, part of Springer (Nature); link 2019. p. 119–149.
Wu P, Gifford A, Meng X, Li X, Campbell H, Varley T, J Zhao, et al. Developing and Evaluating Mappings of ICD-10 and ICD-10-CM codes to Phecodes. BioRxiv. 2018;462077.
- Liang X, Shetty S, Tosh DK, Zhao J, Li D, Liu J. A Reliable Data Provenance and Privacy Preservation Architecture for Business-Driven Cyber-Physical Systems Using Blockchain. International Journal of Information Security and Privacy (IJISP). 2018;12(4):68–81.
- Zhao J, Shetty S, Pan JW. Feature-based transfer learning for network security. In: MILCOM 2017 - 2017 IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM). Baltimore, MA, USA, 2017. PDF
- Muallem A, Shetty S, Wei Pan J, Zhao J, Biswal B. Hoeffding Tree Algorithms for Anomaly Detection in Streaming Datasets: A Survey. Journal of Information Security. 2017 Jan 1;08: 339–61. PDF
- Liang X, Zhao J, Shetty S, Li D. Towards data assurance and resilience in IoT using blockchain. In: MILCOM 2017 - 2017 IEEE Military Communications Conference (MILCOM). Baltimore, MA, USA, 2017. PDF
- Liang X, Zhao J, Shetty S, Liu J, Li D. Integrating blockchain for data sharing and collaboration in mobile healthcare applications. In: 2017 IEEE 28th Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC). Canada. 2017. PDF
- Liang X, Shetty S, Zhao J, Bowden D, Li D, Liu J. Towards Decentralized Accountability and Self-Sovereignty in Healthcare Systems. In: ICICS 2017 - the 19th International Conference on Information and Communications Security. PDF
- Shen Y, Yu J, Dong K, Zhao J, Nan K. An Influence Field Perspective on Predicting User’s Retweeting Behavior. Web-Age Information Management. Springer, Cham; 2015. pp. 3–16. doi:10.1007/978-3-319-21042-1_1. PDF
- Zhao J, Dong K, Yu J. Recommending funding collaborators with scholar social networks. In: 2014 International Conference on Data Science and Advanced Analytics (DSAA). 2014. p. 122–7. PDF
- Zhao J, Dong K, Yu J, Nan K. DSN: A Knowledge -based Scholar Networking Practice Towards Research Community, In: 2013 IEEE 9th International Conference on e-Science (e-Science). 2013. pp 238-244. PDF
- Zhao J, Dong K, Yu J, Nan K, Yan B. Social Network Analysis Technologies in e-Science, e-Science Technology & Application, vol 4(3):3-15, 2013.
- Zhao J, Li S, Yu J, Dong K, Nan K, Yan B. A Cross-disciplinary Collaborative Research Platform - Study on Qinghai Lake Joint Research Environment. 2010 Sixth International Conference on Signal-Image Technology and Internet Based Systems. 2010. pp. 211–216. doi:10.1109/SITIS.2010.44. PDF
- Zhao J, Dong K, Yang L, Nan K, Yan B. E- Scholar: Improving academic search through combining metasearch with entity extraction. In: Computing and Telecommunication 2009 IEEE Youth Conference on Information. 2009. p. 247–50.PDF
- Learning from Longitudinal Electronic Health Record and Genetic Data to Improve Cardiovascular Event Prediction, (Science Presentations), eMERGE Steering Committee, Washington D.C, Jan. 2019.
- Using Topic Modeling to Identify Relationship between LPA Variant and Disease Phenotypes. Poster Presented on AMIA 2018 Annual Symposium,San Francisco, CA, Nov. 3-7, 2018
- Learning from Longitudinal Electronic Health Record and Genetic Data to Improve Cardiovascular Event Prediction, (Poster), Advances in Genome Biology and Technology (AGBT), LA JOLLA, CA, Sep. 2018.
- Developed machine learning/deep learning models on longitudinal EHR and genetic data to predicting 10-years cardiovascular risk disease (VUMC, 2018-Present)
- Stroke phenotyping in projects with Deepmind (VUMC, 2018. Aug - Present)
- Led research efforts research on machine learning, transfer learning and data mining for cyber security. (TSU, 2015-2017)
- Blockchain applications in healthcare and IoT. (TSU, 2017)
- Led science efforts on data mining on social media (CNIC,2012-2015).
- Led development efforts on building a cloud-based collaborative working platform, the national biggest academic collaboration system (CNIC,2012-2015).
- PI, “Leveraging machine learning and deep learning with longitudinal EHR and genetic data to better predict 10-year stroke” (18AMTG34280063), American Heart Association Training Grants, $100,000, 2018-07-01 to 2020-06-30
- Co-PI, “Distributed machine learning for anomaly detection in massive datasets", Boeing Contract, $450,000, 1/1/2016 - 12/31/2018.
- Co-PI, “Transgenerational adaptation of plants to acidic pH and toxic metals in soil” (2018-38821-27737), National Institute of Food and Agriculture, $500,000, 01/04/2018 – 03/31/2021
- Framingham Risk Score - Pooled Cohort ASCVD Risk Equations from 2013 American College of Cardiology and American Heart Association (ACC/AHA) Guideline on the Assessment of Cardiovascular Risk (CVD).
Desgined Projects & Applications
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Postdoctoral Researcher, Vanderbilt University Medical Center. 09/2017 - Present
- Postdoctoral Researcher/Adjunct Faculty, Tennessee State University (TSU). 09/2015 - 09/2017
- Senior Engineer, Research Assistant Professors, Program manager, Chinese Computer Network Information Center (CNIC), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS). 07/2012 - 09/2015